Darlington County School District announces 2018 Art in Business grand prize winners
HARTSVILLE, S.C. – Twenty-two outstanding student-artists from the Darlington County School District earned recognition Sunday afternoon during the 2018 Art in Business ceremony and gallery at Hartsville Middle School.
Artwork created by four of the students also earned recognition as the grand prize winners in each respective grade categories. Those winners are Lila Douglas from Carolina Elementary School (Grades K-2), Autumn Kind from Thornwell School for the Arts (Grades 3-5), Jakayla Johnson from Hartsville Middle School (Grades 6-8), and Sarah Fender from Mayo High School for Math, Science and Technology (Grades 9-12). Their art teachers are, respectively, Rita Szigeti, Stacey Johnson, Michelle McCall and Lyn O’Donnell.
Art teachers from across the district displayed hundreds of pieces of student artwork in a gallery at the school. Parents, family and friends attended and browsed the artwork, which represented every school in the district.
A panel of judges selected a winner from each of the 22 schools that participated in the competition. The panel consisted of sponsor representatives, art educators from other South Carolina school districts, and professional artists from across the country. Each winner received a $50 cash prize and a ribbon. The grand prize winners earned a ribbon, and their art teachers each received $200 for art supplies.
The four grand prize pieces will hang permanently on display at the Darlington County School District’s Administrative Office. The 18 other school winners will be displayed for one year inside the generous local businesses that sponsor Art in Business before hanging permanently in the district.
The individual school winners are:
• Brockington Elementary Magnet School – Aidyn Price
• Brunson-Dargan Elementary School – Hanah Suggs
• Cain Elementary School – Ayken Weaver
• Carolina Elementary School – Lila Douglas
• Darlington County Institute of Technology – Zachory Farmer
• Darlington High School – Kaitlyn Gandy
• Darlington Middle School – David Matteson
• Hartsville High School – Maggie Wensink
• Hartsville Middle School – Jakayla Johnson
• Lamar Elementary School – Shontay Dials
• Lamar High School – Nancy Alejos
• Mayo High School for Math, Science and Technology – Sarah Fender
• North Hartsville Elementary School – Tristan Steen
• Pate Elementary School – Nathaly Quiahua
• Rosenwald Elementary/Middle School – Cloe McMillan
• Southside Early Childhood Center – Bryceson McElveen
• Spaulding Elementary School – Starr Williams
• Spaulding Middle School – Jazmyne Parnell
• St. John’s Elementary School – Gissell Jett
• Thornwell School for the Arts – Autumn Kind
• Washington Street Elementary School – Cornell Hickman
• West Hartsville Elementary School – Cole Mullis
The sponsors that make Art in Business possible are Carolina Pines Regional Medical Center, Darlington Raceway, Dedicated Community Bank, Duke Energy, Halligan Mahoney & Williams, Heritage Community Bank, North Industrial Machine, Orthodontic Specialists, Raceway Ford and Chevrolet, Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Segars Realty, Sonoco, Sound Solutions Hearing Care, SPC Credit Union, Subway, Advanced Wellness Center, Burry Bookstore, Eads Chiropractic Wellness Center and NOVOLEX.