City of Hartsville calls for voluntary water usage restrictions
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources’ Drought Response Committee has designated Darlington County to be in a moderate drought status this month. Under these conditions, Section 82-144 of the City of Hartsville Code calls for the City to request voluntary reductions in usage among water customers to prevent depleting the water supply available for consumption, sanitation, fire protection and other essential needs.
Customers are asked to consider these steps to reduce water usage:
• Reduce watering of plants, lawns and other landscaped areas to the minimum necessary.
• Avoid domestic washing of vehicles such as cars, motorbikes and boats.
• Avoid washing down hard-surfaced areas such as sidewalks, driveways and parking lots.
• Avoid washing down buildings for purposes other than immediate fire protection, and avoid flushing out gutters.
• Eliminate water usage for decorative fountains and reflection ponds, unless it is necessary to support aquatic life.
• Residents and businesses should both work to monitor and correct water leaks in their systems.
• Restaurants should consider avoiding routinely serving water in addition to other beverages. For questions or concerns, City of Hartsville water customers should contact Public Service Director James Clemons at 843-383-3006.