Students in Darlington County School District honored with 2019 STAND Awards
DARLINGTON, S.C. – Every school in the Darlington County School District, as well as district administration, honored students on Friday who display exemplary character and take a “STAND” against illicit drug use.
The annual STAND Awards – STAND being an acronym for “Students Taking Action, Not Drugs” - recognized 23 students during a ceremony at St. John’s Elementary School. Principals, guidance counselors and teachers each spoke about the students chosen from their respective schools while an audience of family members and friends joined the celebration.
The awards are presented to a student from each school who displays positive character, encourages others to live drug-free lifestyles, and seeks to improve in academics and behavior. The ceremony is the culmination of the district’s Drug-Free Schools and Character Education program. Winners are selected by their schools after completing the program.
Ray Taylor, a pastor with Kingdom Builders, delivered this year’s keynote address. He spoke about the majestic qualities of soaring eagles in an effort to encourage to students to always pursue their dreams.
Darlington High School’s Band Ensemble gave two musical performances during the event.
The 2019 STAND Award winners are:
- ·Forrest Jordan, Brockington Elementary Magnet School
- ·Alexis Lyde, Brunson-Dargan Elementary School
- ·Emma Kelley, Cain Elementary School
- ·Flora Byrd, Carolina Elementary School
- ·Monia Cannon, Darlington County Institute of Technology
- ·Ahsjujahnae Brown, Darlington County Intervention School
- ·Stephanie Witherspoon, Darlington High School
- ·Ta’Monte Jones, Darlington Middle School
- ·Montana Walker, Hartsville High School
- ·Jeili Alvarez, Hartsville Middle School
- ·Sophia Knotts, Lamar Elementary School
- ·Tyler Gainey, Lamar High School
- ·Tessa Fonteneau, Mayo High School for Math, Science and Technology
- ·Ava Guinn, North Hartsville Elementary School
- ·Tristen Handfield, Pate Elementary School
- ·Keonda Mullins, Rosenwald Elementary/Middle School
- ·Locksley Dyce, Southside Early Childhood Center
- ·Ingrid Maria Mack, Spaulding Elementary School
- ·Caleb Hargrove, Spaulding Middle School
- ·Adamaris Lei, St. John’s Elementary School
- ·Olive Kronz, Thornwell School for the Arts
- ·Joshua Wingate, Washington Street Elementary School
- ·Jaylen Weatherford, West Hartsville Elementary School