• News
  • Sports
  • Last second field goal ends the Red Fox season

Last second field goal ends the Red Fox season

on Tuesday, 01 December 2015. Posted in Sports

The Hartsville Red Foxes went to Myrtle Beach to face the Seahawks in round 3 of the Lower State playoffs and saw their season come to an end on a last second field goal of 27 yards giving the Seahawks a thrilling 52-49 victory. The loss dropped the Foxes’ record to 12-1 and ended the hopes of a return to Williams-Brice to play for a state championship. The game was a defensive coach’s nightmare as the teams combined for 102 points and 99 yards of offense.

In a sign of things to come the Seahawks took the opening kickoff and 3 plays and 57 seconds later they were in the endzone on a 30 yard Drayton Arnold to Elijah Rice TD pass. The PAT gave Myrtle Beach a quick 7-0 lead. The Foxes answered less that two minutes later on Tiyon Evans’ first of four touchdowns on the night, from 18 yards out. Miller Braddock’s PAT made it 7-7. After an exchange of punts, Myrtle was backed up deep in their own territory. The Foxes blocked a punt and Demarious Cosom fell on the ball in the endzone and the Foxes led 14-7.

After the Seahawks tied it up 14-14 at the 9:41 mark, Hartsville went on a long drive finished by a Brian Rivers 7 yard TD run making it 21-14 with 4:22 left in the half. After forcing a punt, the Foxes added another score on Jalen Jacobs’ 31 yard TD run, making it 28-14 at the half. The Red Foxes took the 2nd half kickoff and went down the field, scoring on Evans’ 31 yard run. Braddock’s PAT made it a seemingly safe 35-14 lead, with 10:45 left in the 3rd quarter. Although, with the Seahawks’ passing game no lead was safe.

With 2:51 left in the quarter, Arnold hit Rice on a 37 yard TD pass making the score 35-21. After a Rivers fumble, the Seahawks scored on a 51 yard pass from Arnold to Sessions making it 35-28 with 2:10 remaining in the quarter. Hartsville answered quickly on Evans’ 3 yard run and led 42-28 as the 4th quarter began. Only 6 seconds into the quarter Arnold connected with Brown on a 15 yard TD pass and the Foxes lead shrunk to 42-35. Less than 3 minutes later, Evans scored his 4th TD of the night from 3 yards out. Braddock’s perfect 7-7 night made the Foxes lead 49-35 at the 9:11 mark.

Fifty-four seconds later, following a good kick-off return and 2 quick passes, Brandon Sinclair scored for the Seahawks from 3 yards out making it 49-42. The fired up Myrtle Beach defense forced a punt and the Seahawks offense scored on Arnold’s 41 yard pass to Brown making it 49 all at the 6:33 mark. Both teams forced punts and with less than a minute left, a Lynch fumble gave Myrtle Beach the ball deep in Hartsville territory. Two quick plays later the Seahawks were on the Foxes’ 10 yard line.

Then as time ran out, Mitchell McCrackin nailed a 27 yard field goal ending the Foxes’ season. The Shug’s Smokehouse Offensive Player of the Game was 9th grader Tiyon Evans who rushed for 225 yards and 4 TDs. The Shug’s Smokehouse Defensive Player of the Game was senior Eddie Martin, who had 8 tackles and a pass breakup. Despite the loss, Hartsville had another great season, finishing 12-1 and advancing to the 3rd round of the playoffs. Players and coaches should be congratulated for their hard work and efforts making this season a success.