Red Foxes crush Falcons

on Tuesday, 01 November 2016. Posted in News, Sports

Red Foxes crush Falcons

By Coach Jimmy White

After struggling the past two weeks with penalties and turnovers, the Red Fox football team turned in a complete and dominating performance, winning 56-7 over the Darlington Falcons. After returning the opening kickoff to the 37 yard line. Hartsville's opening play was a sign of things to come. Tiyon Evans took the handoff on the first play and ran 63 yards for a touchdown.

Miller Braddock's point after touchdown made it 7-0 less than 30 seconds into the game. The Falcons first possession gave the impression that the fans were in for a good game. They used the passing game to spread the Red Foxes and moved down the field. A holding penalty brought back on apparent 34 yards touchdown pass and the Red Fox defensive then settled down to slam the door.

After taking over on the two yard line, the Red Fox offense used a long pass to Steve Joyner and a couple of good runs to get near midfield. Tiyon Evans struck again on a 52 yard run into the end zone. Braddock's point after touchdown made it 14-0 with 5:27 left in the first quarter.

Fallowing JD Pendergrass' interception, the Red Fox offense was on the move again, with JC Clair scoring from four yards out for the first of his three touchdowns, on the night. The point after touchdown ran the score to 21-0 with 3:44 in the first quarter. After a quick three and out forced by the defense, Hartsville took over on the 41 yard line of the Falcons.

After a 27 yard AJ Joyner to Steve Joyner pass put the ball inside the Falcon 10 yard line, JC Clair scored his second touchdown from five yards out. The point after touchdown made the score 28-0 with 1:05 still remaining in the first quarter. After the Red Foxes intercepted the pass on the first play of the second quarter, Collins Bishop exploded up the first middle for 30 yards into the end zone. Braddock maintained his perfect night and the Foxes led 35-0.

The defense again forced a quick three and out, the Red Foxes took over on their 29 yard line. On the first play, Clair exploded 71 yards for his third touch down of the game. The point after touchdown ran the score to 42.0 with 7:40 still remaining before half. At this point the coaches and officials agreed to use a running from this point on. After getting the ball right back; Trae Brown scored on a 69 yard run and with Braddock's PAT it was 49-0 at the half.

The third quarter began with the Falcons picking up a few first downs, but no points. The Foxes took over on their 30 yard line and few plays later Darius Rhodes exploded through a huge hole for a 56 yard run into paydirt. The point after touchdown was good, leaving the Foxes with a 56-0 score. With the running clock, the Darlington team had a good drive and finally connected on a 1 yard pass to get on the board, making it 56-7 at the 3 minute mark.

All that was left to do for the foxes was the kneel-down play to kill the clock. The Foxes needed only 19 plays on offense to gain 453 yards and score 56 points, in wrapping up the conference title with one game remaining against Lakewood next Friday.

The Shug's Smokehouse Offensive Player of the game was Tiyon Evans with 2 carries for 115 yards and 2 touchdowns. The Shug's Smokehouse Defensive Player of the game was Widner Wilfong who had 4 solo tackles and several assists. Hope to see you next Friday at Kelleytown for the game against Lakewood, as we honor our seniors on Senior Night.